Sunday, January 30, 2011

Creating a 3D Pop-up Book

I have learned about a very interesting tool that helps you create a 3D pop-up story or even a book. It is ZooBurst The creation of a story is very easy, you can sign up for a free acoount and the tool looks like an interesting one, so I've decided to share with you my first attempt.

I've created only one scene to illustrate the last topic I discussed with my students:



To get started, you just click on"New Book" and then"Build" button. Then you choose the title for your story. You can find the right images by simply typing the key words of your story and getting nice images from ZooBurst gallery, or you can upload your own. After selecting, moving, rotating the images and creating a scene, you add text bubbles to your characters, which appear as exclamation marks above their heads until you click on them to read them. You can choose colours for the background and create more pages. When you have told your story, you save it.
Pro account gives your some more attractive options, like adding sound to your stories, but it seems you can create great stories with a free account, too.

There are two things I liked about ZooBurst:
  • you can easily embed your story
  • instead of just enjoying the book by reading it or looking at the illustrations, your readers can choose Webcam Mode to experience your book in Augmented Reality: the button turns on your webcam and you see yourself as if in a mirror, with a part of the story you were reading when you turned it on. You can print the mixed reality scene, too.

ZooBurst seems like a tool my students would love. I'll definitely use it in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. This is great Sanja!!! Thank you!

    I have missed so much from the EVO sessions, so many things happened that I did not even manage to look at the blogs. :(

    ReplyDelete